Sabrina and Romeo had planned to be wed in New York City at the Rainbow Room in April 2020…we all know how that went. Another couple’s plans deeply impacted by the pandemic, and yet another resilient and optimistic response. They moved it home to Edmonton, Canada, and with only a 6-month planning timeline we worked together to produce a very different event than they had initially envisioned.
Trading skycrapers for an entirely outdoor wedding, Sabrina and Romeo’s late summer soirée featured a mirrored aisle for their Sikh ceremony, live violinists, modern Indian cuisine, and two DJs. There was even a suprise appearance by Punjabi singer, Jazzy B! As a nod to their original venue, the Rainbow Room, we had the iconic compass featured on their dance floor.
+ + + + + + + + + + +
- Full Planning + Design: Jennifer Bergman Weddings (Jennifer)
- Venue: Aspen Valley
- Photography: Andras Schram Photography
- Videography: Parfait Productions
- Caterer: Zaika Indian Bistro
- Rentals: Special Event Rentals
- Ceremony Arch, Rentals: BASH Decor
- Florist: Fabloomosity
- Stationery / Signage: J. Gartner Studio
- Plexi Stages: Exquisite Affairs
- Cake: Brianne Gabrielle Cakes
- Cocktail Music: Charms YYC
- First Dance Singer: Lindsey Nagy Music
- DJs: Urban Beats Entertainment + Harman B
- Hair + Makeup: MADE by PG
- Vinyl Wraps, Indoor Sparklers: Talent Productions
+ + + + + + + + + + +
Jennifer, Lead Coordinator | Jennifer Bergman Weddings
Edmonton Wedding Planner
Jennifer Bergman Weddings is now offering ePlan Sessions to help couples virtually plan their weddings. No need to change out of your Lulus – let’s connect from our living rooms via a Zoom call and get to work! We promise you’ll feel motivated, organized and on-track after your JBW ePlan Session.
- Are newly engaged and not sure where to begin
- Enjoy wedding planning on their own but need a little professional guidance or support from an expert
- Are unsure how to proceed with planning their wedding during COVID-19
- Have reached the final stages in their wedding planning and are worried they may have missed something important
- A full 1-hr consultation with Owner and Sr. Wedding Producer, Jennifer Bergman
- A post-call summary outlining our discussion, including a full list of actions, suggestions and links to any resources referenced
- The best venue options suited for your wedding size, style and budget
- Creation of a realistic budget and advice on how to stay on target
- Design ideas on how to bring your wedding vision to life (ie. Where can I source chiffon table runners? What are some centrepiece ideas for my wedding style?)
- Creation of a detailed timeline for your wedding day
- Other miscellaneous tips and tricks to help save you TIME and MONEY throughout your wedding planning process
- Select your desired date and time (please email us if you are unable to find something that works for your schedule and we can coordinate directly)
- Pay for your ePlan Session
- You will receive a Zoom meeting link for your chosen date/time
- ePlan Session (1 hour) – $150 + GST $112.50 + GST*
- *Save 25% on all sessions booked by May 30th, 2020!
Sandy + Steve wanted their winter wedding to be dramatic, romantic, elegant and bold. We let the stunning glass ceilings at The Enjoy Centre serve as inspiration for the design, allowing the deep blue night sky to shine through and enhancing it with additional blue lighting around the perimeter of the space. White and gold textured lighting was used to breakup the blue, mimicking twinkling stars. Metallic elements were carried throughout the design to ensure the sparkle of winter was present, while rich tones of cranberry and red florals brought vibrancy and life to the tables. The inspiration:
Photo Credits (clockwise from top left): Black and Gold Tablescape – Wedding Obsession; White Peony Centerpiece – Martha Stewart Weddings; Tartan Menu Wrap – The Knot; White and Green Wedding Bouquet – Jennifer Bergman Weddings; Ceremony Canopy – Kehoe Designs; Black Gold and Ivory Wedding Cake – Sweet & Saucy Shop; Black and Gold Table Design – Style Me Pretty.
…and the reality!
Photo Credit: Jessica Fern Facette.
+ + + + + + + + + + +
We’ll be sharing more of Sandy + Steve’s gorgeous wedding very soon – stay tuned!
Jennifer + Team | Jennifer Bergman Weddings
Edmonton Wedding Planner + Designer
Edmonton is home to some great venues for weddings and events, but nothing is quite like the new Art Gallery of Alberta (AGA). Many of our clients are attracted to the versatility of this contemporary, urban space – it looks great with minimal décor or it can be completely transformed! I sat down with Elisa DeFazio, Director of Sales & Catering, to get the inside scoop on what makes the AGA an ideal venue for contemporary couples.
Opened in January 2010, the new Art Gallery of Alberta is an engaging and inviting visual arts centre in downtown Edmonton, Alberta. Celebrating its prominent location on Sir Winston Churchill Square, the city’s arts and government core, the building’s architectural design formally and philosophically extends out into the community, welcoming visitors of all ages and backgrounds to experience contemporary art firsthand.
Why is AGA a great wedding venue in Edmonton?
Visually, the building itself is spectacular. Today still, people will walk by and stop or drive by and slow down to look at the design. It truly is a masterpiece!
The diversity of the venue provides our clients with options for any style of function. Brides and grooms will use the theatre for their ceremony and move up to the main floor for their banquet dinner. Some couples choose to rent the entire gallery and have the exhibits open as part of their event program.
Each rentable area of the building offers special features, such as:
- Sophisticated adjustable lighting
- Contemporary furniture
- Drop-down digital projector and screen to display monograms or slideshows
- All tables, linens and small wares are included with the rental fee
What spaces does AGA have available to accommodate weddings?
Our banquet spaces are not like a traditional ballroom found in a hotel or conference centre.
- The Ernest C. Manning Hall and Atrium, located on the main floor of the gallery, is the largest and most commonly used space for weddings, with seating for up to 200 guests.
- The contemporary Ledcor Theatre on the lower level of the building can be used for a wedding ceremony of up to 167 guests.
- The Outdoor Sculpture Terrace is perfect for an intimate ceremony of 60 guests.
- The Borealis Room on the fourth floor is a beautifully enclosed glass space, great for small ceremonies or dinners of up to 30 guests.
Our rental package can be viewed online at: http://www.zincrestaurant.ca/events-catering.php.
Our culinary team focuses on fresh Alberta ingredients fused with local artisan food products. When selecting food and beverage for their catered event, couples have a few options: a customized menu from Zinc Restaurant; a customized menu based on a current exhibition showcased at the AGA; a menu chosen from our Banquets Menu (online at www.zincrestaraunt.ca/events-catering). The same culinary team that showcases their talent in Zinc Restaurant (located at the AGA) is the team that provides the high-end presentation and service in our banquet setting. Our Executive Chef David Omar will meet with you one-on-one to help customize your menu providing his expertise, recommendations and creative flare.
Any tips for brides and groom searching for their perfect wedding venue?
Find a venue that compliments your style – whether contemporary or traditional. When venue shopping, bring along inspiration photos that appeal to you and ask the venue to provide you with pictures of other wedding setups so you can get an idea of how the room can be transformed. Ask a lot of questions, don’t settle and have fun!
+ + + + + + + + + + +
Edmonton Wedding Planner
Photo Credit: Katch Studios.
Before we get into Tip #5, here’s a recap of the previous tips:
- Tip #1: Determine what kind of wedding you want.
- Tip #2: Prioritize.
- Tip #3: Tackle the guest list.
- Tip #4: Set your budget.
In just one week all 9 planning tips will be posted and you’ll be able to enter our lucky + in love contest!
+ + + + + + + + + + +
Tip #5: When and where?
When to Get Married – Considerations
- Season: Do you love the idea of a cozy winter wedding, or is the freshness of spring more appealing? If you have no preference for a particular wedding date, nail down a window of 1 or 2 months and go from there.
- Day of the Week: Most weddings are held on Saturday but if you are open to a Friday, Sunday or even a weekday wedding you will have a lot more flexibility with your choices of venues and wedding professionals.
- Length of Engagement: Some couples like to take their time during the wedding planning process and are happy to stretch out their engagement for 12-18 months – or longer! Others want to tie the knot as soon as possible. Shorter planning timelines are absolutely doable, but be prepared to make decisions quickly.
- Popularity: July and August are extremely busy months for weddings in Canada and especially in Alberta where the warm weather is so short-lived. If you are set on a July wedding be prepared to begin planning at least 12 months in advance. Many of the popular venues and wedding professionals are booked up quite early for the busy summer months.
- V.I.P. Guest Attendance: Once you have an idea of when you’d like to get married, you may wish to run the timing by your closest family members and friends to ensure they can attend.
Where to Get Married – Considerations
- Ceremony Venue: Are you having a religious ceremony in a church? Would you like to hold your ceremony at the same place as your reception? If you have your heart set on an outdoor ceremony don’t forget to make a ‘plan B’ in case of inclement weather.
- Reception Venue: When searching for the perfect reception venue, consider formality, atmosphere and style. Select a location that fits the look and feel that you would like to convey on your big day. As the reception costs will likely eat up about half of your budget, do some serious number-crunching before signing a contract.
- Location: Are a lot of guests travelling to your wedding from out-of-town? If so, consider holding your reception at or nearby a hotel. Likewise, if most of your guests won’t have transportation it’s thoughtful to hold the ceremony and reception in the same place or arrange for shuttle service.
- Capacities: Only look at venues that are suited to your wedding size. A venue may advertise that their location can hold up to 200 guests but that capacity may not be meant for a wedding layout. Ask your wedding planner or the venue coordinator for floorplans from weddings previously held in the space to ensure that it can accommodate a dance floor, a head table and any other special requirements (ie. a dessert table, a guestbook table, etc.).
- Revisit Your Wedding Priorities: Look back at what you listed as your wedding priorities and keep them top of mind on your venue hunt. For example, if an awesome party is really important to you ask about noise restrictions and when guests must vacate the reception room. Some hotels dictate that music must be turned off after a certain time due to guest room proximity.
Until the next tip…
Still hunting for the perfect venue to hold your reception? The Matrix Hotel is one of the newest and most modern hotels in Edmonton. I had the pleasure of chatting with Matrix Hotel’s Catering Manager, Nancy Holan (WPICC), about what makes the Matrix such a unique space for weddings.
Why is Matrix Hotel a great wedding venue in Edmonton?
Matrix Hotel is the proud recipient of the Greater Edmonton Chapter MPI Event Management Award: 2010 Venue of the Year! Not only do we take pride in our food and service, but the aesthetics of the hotel display upbeat, modern designs and cool décor.
Our Quartz and Amber Ballrooms are perfect for weddings. Both feature 30 feet of floor length windows with silk coverings. As natural light is not commonly found in hotel ballrooms, this is a very unique feature that appeals to many brides and grooms. As well, our hardwood dance floors provide your guests with the ultimate dancing experience.
What spaces does Matrix Hotel have available to accommodate weddings?
- The Quartz Ballroom holds 200 guests for dinner and dancing;
- The Amber Ballroom holds 100-110 for dinner and dancing;
- The Prism Banquet room holds 48 people for a dinner.
One of the most important components of a wedding is the food. Tell us a bit about what sets Matrix Hotel apart from other wedding venues in regards to cuisine.
Matrix Hotel is very proud of our culinary team and the absolutely delicious creations provided to our guests on a continuous basis. Award-winning Executive Chef Emmanuel David is always open to working with couples to create custom menus and recipes.
Does Matrix Hotel offer any special “extras” for the newlyweds?
Absolutely! Our brides and grooms receive a complimentary suite the night of the wedding, valet parking and deluxe continental breakfast for two. For their guests, we offer a guestroom rate reduction at $10.00 off our regular rate and we’re more than happy to provide special menus for guests with allergies or specific dietary requirements.
I worked with Nancy on a wedding held at Matrix Hotel in September and both the food and service were exceptional. Stay tuned for photos from that wedding in the coming weeks!
Danielle + Chris were married in Edmonton on June 26th. Their reception was held in a brand new banquet facility built at La Cité Francophone – a multi-purpose community centre in the Bonnie Doon area. These photos were taken on May 31st – just 27 days before the wedding!
Curious how this space was transformed into a whimsical wonderland less than a month later? Stay tuned for photos from this amazing wedding…!
Carolynne + Dan had the perfect summer day for their wedding reception at Fort Edmonton Park’s Blatchford Field Air Hangar. They wanted their guests to feel relaxed and have a lot of fun, while still attending a classy event…and I believe they achieved it, no question!
Highlights of the day:
- An awesome grand entrance – the bridal party was escorted from the park gates to the Hangar by a Scottish piper!
- A signature blue cocktail was poured through a monogrammed ice luge and served to guests as they arrived.
- Carolynne + Dan’s toasts to each other were so genuine and from the heart – definitely the best bride + groom speeches I’ve ever heard!
John and his team at Food for Thought Catering did an amazing job with dinner and drinks, and Jana Kendall Photography captured the day beautifully! Thanks to Krista for her wonderful assistance throughout the day.
Here are a few images, and you can find more on Jana’s blog here:
Congratulations, Carolynne + Dan! Thanks for letting me share in your wonderful day!
Related Links: Fort Edmonton Hangar Wedding Sneak Peak.