You can visualize yourself walking down the aisle, locking eyes with your partner, saying ‘I Do’ and sharing that first kiss as a married couple. You’re ready to sign on the dotted line to book your wedding ceremony venue! But wait – have you asked all the right questions?!
Not to worry, Team JBW has got your back! Here are 5 important questions to ask when booking your wedding ceremony venue.
1. Are there any décor restrictions? For example, many indoor venues do not allow real flower petals down the aisle. Some churches have restrictions on what (if any) décor can be placed at the altar. It’s important to find out what is and isn’t permitted before booking your wedding ceremony venue.
2. What is included with the venue rental and what am I responsible for renting or supplying? Find out what the venue is providing and what you must bring in yourselves or rent. Some examples of items you may require for your wedding ceremony include: chairs or bench seating, a signing table for the registry, a ceremony arch or arbour, a sound system with a wireless or lapel microphone, and easels for directional signage.
3. When can a rehearsal date and time be confirmed? Some venues will allow you to schedule this upon booking, while others will only confirm your rehearsal a couple weeks in advance. This is important to ask, as it may take some juggling to coordinate the availability of your Officiant, Wedding Party, Wedding Coordinator and rehearsal dinner venue.
4. Is there an indoor or covered backup space in case of inclement weather? Always have a Plan B! If weather is poor, is there an on site backup space you can move the ceremony into? And when must you make the weather call? Often times this can be done on the day of the event, as late as a few hours prior to your ceremony start time, but some venues require 24 hours notice if utilizing the backup space.
5. Is only one wedding held per day? Some ceremony venues book multiple weddings on a single day (we’ve seen as many as 4 different timeslots), while others provide exclusivity to a single wedding couple. It’s important to understand if you are restricted to a specific ceremony time, and whether you have to hustle out of there following your nuptials or if you can stick around to take photos.
+ + + + + + + + + + +
We hope this is a helpful resource for you when booking your wedding ceremony venue. Stay tuned for our next blog post outlining 5 Questions to Ask Your Wedding Reception Venue!
Jennifer + Team | Jennifer Bergman Weddings
Edmonton Wedding Planners, Edmonton Wedding Designers
After Jessica and Eric’s venue closed unexpectedly during the Covid-19 pandemic, plans quickly shifted and they decided to hold their wedding closer to home in Calgary, Alberta.
We transformed The Lake House from rustic hunting cabin to whimsical garden. Nine chandeliers were adorned in foliage and florals and the grand fireplace was flanked with pillars of elegant blooms. From the caricature artist, a karaoke dance party and late night bubble tea, Jessica and Eric created a personalized and memorable experience for their guests. We were giddy with excitement to see this event featured on Carats & Cake!
Their day was nothing short of the fairytale they deserved – a truly magical start to the next chapter of their love story – and we are honoured to have been a part of their Calgary wedding.
- Wedding Planning + Design: Jennifer Bergman Weddings (Lead: Suzanne)
- Ceremony + Reception Venue: The Lake House Calgary
- Officiant: Tammy Banting
- Photography: Infused Studios
- Videography: Castaño Media
- Florist: Fall for Florals
- Cake: Bake My Day
- Bubble Tea: Coco Fresh Tea & Juice
- Rentals: Modern Rentals
- Transportation: AM PM Limo Service
- Ceremony Music: Janice Pearce – Harpist
- Reception Music + Karaoke: Pez Productions
- Hair: Jessie Liao Hair
- Makeup: Yumi Shin
- Caricaturist: Rob Milton
+ + + + + + + + + + +
Suzanne, Lead Planner | Jennifer Bergman Weddings
Calgary Wedding Planner