Posts Tagged: Emcee tips
Top Ten Wedding MC Tips
Being the MC at a wedding is a great honour but it can also be a bit scary. Here are some tips to help you prepare for this special role.
Top 10 Wedding MC Tips
- Prepare well in advance so you aren’t in a panic the week of the wedding. Type your script and read it back to yourself in the mirror to make sure it flows.
- Know the reception itinerary (speak to the bride and groom or the wedding planner to get this in advance). The best MCs keep things running smoothly and on time.
- Inform the wedding planner about any special touches or A/V requirements in advance.
- Arrive at the reception early to do a sound check. Speak clearly into the mic while holding it approximately 15 cm away from your mouth.
- Keep your comments and stories short and sweet.
- Keep guests informed throughout the evening. Give them 10-15 minute warnings before important events occur (eg. dinner, speeches, dance, cake cutting).
- Ensure the caterer / servers are aware when you are beginning speeches so that they don’t disrupt guests by clearing tables.
- When introducing speakers, mention something personal about them and/or about their relationship to the bride and groom. Learn how to pronounce their names before the wedding.
- Don’t have too many drinks before and during dinner. Even though you may be nervous, keeping a clear head is important.
- Avoid embarrassing subjects and information that can’t be taken back. If you’re unsure about a joke or topic always check with the bride and groom, close family members or the wedding planner.
Good luck – you’ll do great!
Edmonton Wedding Planner + Designer
Photo Credit: Sharon Litchfield Photography.