In our previous post we shared 5 Questions to Ask Your Wedding Ceremony Venue. Today we’re sharing 5 important questions to ask the venues you’re considering booking for your reception or wedding celebration.
1. What time must the event end? Are there any community noise bylaws that must be adhered to? Most commonly in Alberta we see a 1:00 AM bar closure time, but some venues choose to shut down a bit earlier than this. Other communities have noise bylaws that prohibit loud music past 10:00 PM or 11:00 PM. This can especially be true for venues located in residential areas, or backyard tented events. Check the bylaws in your area if you’re hosting an event at home.
2. When can the venue be accessed for decorating? When must all items be removed? It may seem early to worry about logistics, but it is important to consider when you will be able to set up and decorate for your event, and when everything must be taken down and picked up. Most rental and decorating companies will charge a premium to come back late at night, so if your venue allows next-day pick up this can save you some cash.
3. Is catering provided by the venue, or is external catering permitted? Are alcohol and bartending services provided by the venue, or can you bring your own alcohol and liquor license? It can be convenient when the venue provides all food and beverage services. On the other hand, choosing your own caterer and bar company offers you more control over your menu and budget. In either case, be sure to ask ahead about meal service styles (plated vs buffet vs family style) and any special must-have menu items or cultural dishes.
4. What are the nearby options for guest parking? It is helpful to include parking details on your invitations or wedding website so guests have a heads up about parking locations, costs, walking distance to the venue, and whether they can leave their vehicles overnight. If your venue is outside of an area serviced by taxis or Uber, consider arranging shuttle bus service to provide your guests with a safe and convenient way to attend your wedding.
5. What is included with the venue rental and what am I responsible for renting or supplying? Find out what the venue provides and what you must bring in yourselves or rent. Some examples of items you may require for your wedding reception include: chairs, tables (ask about sizes), linens, napkins, staging, dance floor, podium, AV equipment (microphones, sound system, projector, screen), dishware, flatware, glassware, candles, easels and coat racks.
+ + + + + + + + + + +
Jennifer + Team | Jennifer Bergman Weddings
Edmonton Wedding Planners, Edmonton Event Planners